The aftermath of a storm is always stressful for a homeowner, especially if it has caused significant damage to their home. Knowing how a typical insurance claims process goes can help you keep things on track and ensure fair compensation. In today’s post, A Crown Roofing Inc. shares a quick guide to handling storm damage insurance claims.
An Overview of a Typical Insurance Claims Process
Processing insurance claims can vary in small ways between insurance providers, but a typical process is as follows, step by step:
- Inspect the damage — Once the storm has passed, check your home and the yard for hazards like broken glass and fallen tree branches. If there are live wires, do not go out of the house until the fire department or the utility company has pronounced it safe. At this point, try to document the extent of the damage by taking photos and video using your phone.
- Contact your insurance company — Call your insurance company’s claims line (most can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week), where they will provide a claim number and instructions. Some insurance providers send a representative to inspect the damage, others will provide a list of recognized roofers that will perform the inspection and provide an estimate of the repair or restoration costs.
- Contact your roofer — Some insurance providers will simply recommend you contact a local restoration company or a contractor that offers assistance with filing insurance claims.
- Document the damage — Whether you end up working with an insurance representative or a contractor, documentation is important. You will be given a list of required paperwork; making sure they’re complete can help minimize delays in filing your claim.
- Processing — Your insurance provider will process your claim within a given time frame. Insurance providers typically pay out insurance claims in two checks: the first one will cover the down payment, the second will cover the rest after deductibles.
How We Can Help
A Crown Roofing Inc. has the experience and know-how in assisting with storm damage insurance claims. We can ensure accurate documentation, provide an honest estimate and advocate for you to make sure that you receive fair compensation.
A Crown Roofing Inc. is your leading provider of insurance claim assistance and roof repair services. Call our headquarters at (904) 267-1019 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.