Asking for an estimate from a roofing contractor is the first step in planning a budget for a roofing project. An estimate is a roofer’s educated guess on the costs of a roofing project.
What are the details you should look for in a roofing estimate?
- Contractor’s contact info – The contractor should include their physical and email address and phone number in the estimate.
- List of materials to be used and detailed breakdown of their costs – There should be a detailed breakdown of the roofing materials that will be used and their corresponding costs. Keep in mind that the costs of roofing material may vary depending on your area. As such, you may notice a difference in the material costs listed in estimates from different contractors.
- Scope of roofer’s responsibilities – Your contractor’s work description and the scope of their responsibilities should be outlined in the estimate.
- Start and completion date – Keep in mind that at this point, these are just estimated timelines.
- Warranty info – Check if there’s any info about any workmanship or material guarantees given by your roofer.
Quotes vs Estimates
While some homeowners use quotes and estimates interchangeably, there’s a crucial difference between the two. The former is more detailed than the latter, and once you sign quotes, they become binding contracts. Estimates, on the other hand, are just educated guesses, and as such, the actual project costs can be 10 to 15 percent higher or lower than the cost provided in the estimate.
Why You Should Be Wary of Exceedingly Low Estimates
It may be tempting to choose the roofer with the lowest bid. However, if the amount is too good to be true, then it probably is. Offering exceedingly low estimates are a common tactic used by less experienced contractors. The problem with hiring them is that they’re more prone to making installation errors that may compromise your new roof’s performance. Remember: when planning a budget for your roof replacement, you should avoid getting too preoccupied with the costs.
A Crown Roofing & Construction is a family-owned construction company that offers a wide range of professional exterior services, including roofing and emergency repair services. To request a quote, call us at (904) 267-1019 or fill out this form.